Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Hot Town, Summer in the City

The Maltz wants to take a second to talk about NYC transportation in the summer months. Why does it have to be so damn hot down in the subway stations - doesn't heat rise? With the MTA announcing another rate hike, they better put some AC down in the rat holes. Recently it's been so hot and humid that I've been purposely going past my stop just so I can cool off. Once I reach a body temp that's comfortable, I jump out and flip around on the next train the other way. Its never more than about 4 stops. The funny thing is that I see other people doing the same thing. Also, never leave home without two bounty paper towels; 1 to get through the initial wipe down, the other for the occasional dabbing. Last bit of advice - keep an extra work shirt at the office, sometimes the pit moisture is just too much, don't fight it.

Whats the deal with the Taxi SUVs? As far as I'm concerned, they absolutely suck and they provide no value whatsoever. There is never enough leg room, the AC never makes it to the back seat because of the awkward partition (it's around the driver only) and its always so hard to pay the driver since he's boxed in. I try to avoid the SUV Taxi as often as possible and refuse to take them in the summer months - it's just too hot. Speaking of which, The Maltz always tips extra if the AC is already on when entering the taxi. Its usually such a struggle to work the AC vents in the back, you know what I mean - they never hold their place, right? - and I have to lie down in the back seat to get any air at all.

Its always such a bonus when the driver rolls up and there is no partition. The driver often exudes a sense of pride and the cleanliness and care of the car is evident. Plus, if the driver has enough loot to buy his/her own Taxi Medallion ($500,000), I'd venture to say that they know their way around the city and probably speak English.
-The Maltz

1 comment:

8dahardway said...

I cant agree more on all points!!! The subway thing a new one for me and maybe I'll try it although you should try the bus!!!
One way to get passed the miserable vents in the back that is when you're not lucky enough to have the cabs with the over head vents(which reminds me the minvan cabs all have good ventage) is to carry a pacjk of matches with you at all times in your bag or pocket or whatever. You can usually jimmy the matches under the vent to keep it pointed up and you might want to try sitting in the middle and not the side. A little awkward and uncomfortable but better than going through the two towels before you reach the bus stop!!